Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Celebrating the Fourth of July




The birth of a great nation is certainly reason for celebration...especially when you're fortunate enough to live in what's still the greatest country on earth.

Yesterday I celebrated the fact that I was finally able to get away from the keyboard and do some diving. Over the last several days the weather has continued to plague my efforts to dive, film or kayak fish, so this was a welcomed chance to get wet.


Wind was still a problem yesterday with rough conditions and hazy, hot temperatures in the high eighties near shore. This brought a lot of people to Jamestown, RI where they explored the water's edge in an effort to escape the city heat.




For me it was an opportunity to escape the terrestrial world in favor of the peace and tranquility that the sea has always provided me. It's still an area where I can have an exciting adventure in a truly wild place. It's my sanctuary, my escape from the crowds, the noise, and the hassles of 21st century living. It's in this fluid universe that I'm most at home.


The wind and the current conspired to hasten my drift along the shoreline; I was surprised considering it wasn't a particularly strong tide. The seas were running about two to two and half feet and there was a nuisance chop that wanted to fill my snorkel. The visibility was surprising good in the deeper water (20 to 30 feet) however, there were not a lot of stripers around. To be continued...

No comments: